About Me

My photo
I am an avid reader, animal lover, devourer of guacamole, storyteller and the author of An Unexpected Obsession, A Dose of Reality, Witch Way, A Coven by Christmas, Love Spells, Summer Solstice (coming soon), Flirting With Death, Flirting With Murder and the rest of the upcoming Assassins Anonymous series. I attended Arizona State University (go Sun Devils!) and make my home in the Valley of the Sun with my husband and three pampered pets. I like to discuss everything funny, sexy, sassy and absurd. But mostly I like to talk about books... and shoes... and outrageously expensive purses... and Chanel sunglasses ...oooh, and anything sparkly... or fluffy! So, come on in and let's chat!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday, a Fun Read!

I just finished reading Spying in High Heels, Book 1 of the High Heels Mysteries by Gemma Halliday and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a "just for fun" type of series, but it was definitely entertaining. Light read, but not too short with some seriously funny situations. As was stated by other reviewers on Amazon, this series is very similar to the Stephanie Plum Novels written by Janet Evanovich (number seventeen is out now, I'm just waiting for the price to go down).

Some of the similarities were a little too familiar. The Latin cop boyfriend, the meddling mother, the outrageous best friend all resembled Janet Evanovich's characters in a way. But I didn't have an issue with the comparisons because the story was too fun.

I bought the boxed set and immediately began reading book 2 as soon as I finished Spying in High Heels. At $9.99 for the 5-book series, it was an absolute steal. Well worth the price and time invested, that's for certain! I was a bit hesitant at first, because when I first started reading on Kindle I had downloaded a book by Gemma Halliday for $2.99 and read the entire thing in under twenty minutes, so I worried that these would be short stories as well. Have no fear! These are full-length novels and not even on the skimpy side at that.

If I had to pick my least favorite aspects of the book it would be the lack of sexy scenes for the main character. She thinks about sex often enough, but I would have like a few, ahem, more fulfilling situations - this is a personal preference though.

All-in-all, this is a must-read for fans of chick-lit and humorous romance. I highly recommend it!

Happy reading!

**Disclaimer: I am not a professional literary reviewer. I do not know this author and I am not being paid or otherwise compensated for this review. The opinions stated here are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment