About Me

My photo
I am an avid reader, animal lover, devourer of guacamole, storyteller and the author of An Unexpected Obsession, A Dose of Reality, Witch Way, A Coven by Christmas, Love Spells, Summer Solstice (coming soon), Flirting With Death, Flirting With Murder and the rest of the upcoming Assassins Anonymous series. I attended Arizona State University (go Sun Devils!) and make my home in the Valley of the Sun with my husband and three pampered pets. I like to discuss everything funny, sexy, sassy and absurd. But mostly I like to talk about books... and shoes... and outrageously expensive purses... and Chanel sunglasses ...oooh, and anything sparkly... or fluffy! So, come on in and let's chat!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sweet Valley Confidential - Not as Sweet as I'd Hoped

Nostalgia can be sweet, but not so much with Sweet Valley Confidential. Admittedly, it has been a few years since Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield held a prominent place in my reading library, but I don't remember them being this mind-numbing. I really, REALLY wanted to enjoy this book, but it was more of a chore to read than a pleasure.

I found it ironic that author Francine Pascal attempted to intersperse words that required a dictionary with a plot that was less than extraordinary. I never even felt the need to turn another page because I already knew what would happen. And honestly, I didn't enjoy the final destination most of the time.

At $9.99, the price was steep. Would I buy it again, knowing what I do now? Probably. There was a funny sense of closure with the book that I would have never gotten if I knew it was out there, but had never read it. I remember the series being much more fun and this book was a tad depressing. I saw/read an interview where Francine was saying how early readers were upset that the characters they loved were portrayed in adult situations (having one-night stands, cheating, etc.). I actually felt the book needed more reality, more adult situations, more... something.

One conundrum that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the book, but bothered me anyway, was their ages. Without admitting my own, the Sweet Valley High series is old. Elizabeth & Jessica should have been in their forties - maybe even older than that. Possibly the author is anticipating continuing the series at a later date and didn't want to age them too quickly, but I doubt this is the case as there was an in-depth "where are they now" recap of the entire cast of characters in the epilogue.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too harsh. I loved Sweet Valley High as a young girl and possibly my expectations were simply too high. Have you read it yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!

~Heidi

**Disclaimer: I am not a professional literary reviewer. I do not know this author and I am not being paid or otherwise compensated for this review. The opinions stated here are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment