About Me

My photo
I am an avid reader, animal lover, devourer of guacamole, storyteller and the author of An Unexpected Obsession, A Dose of Reality, Witch Way, A Coven by Christmas, Love Spells, Summer Solstice (coming soon), Flirting With Death, Flirting With Murder and the rest of the upcoming Assassins Anonymous series. I attended Arizona State University (go Sun Devils!) and make my home in the Valley of the Sun with my husband and three pampered pets. I like to discuss everything funny, sexy, sassy and absurd. But mostly I like to talk about books... and shoes... and outrageously expensive purses... and Chanel sunglasses ...oooh, and anything sparkly... or fluffy! So, come on in and let's chat!

Friday, September 2, 2011

HELP! Back-to-back books I didn't enjoy. I need recommendations!

Nobody expects a Romance or Chick-Lit novel to be an extraordinary work of fiction. I read them to escape - I'm easily entertained. I can find something redeeming in almost everything I read. But I'm in a dilemma...I recently read two books that I didn't enjoy. With trying to write a new novel, working full time and a family and house to take care of, I don't have a whole lot of free time. I love reading and also love sharing the great books I find. It's my escape. But what do I do when I get back-to-back stinkers?

I guess it wouldn't be bothering me so much if there had been even the slightest inkling that these books were sub-par. There wasn't. I often base my own book-buying decisions on fellow reader reviews and these were 100% "this is a great book". Maybe that should have been a red flag...not everyone is going to like every book and sometimes it's the dissenting views that lure me to buy. Now, one of them wasn't necessarily a bad book, just tedious and boring. And that one might just be my own reading preference. The other was actually painful to read though - confusing tenses, repeated misuse of words, unbelievable dialog, missing words, poor sentence structure - in addition to being a mediocre storyline. All around, it was a BAD book.

The world doesn't need any more negativity, so I'm going to write them off as a waste of my time and move on. I suppose I'm just disappointed because they both sounded so good from the blurbs and reviews. And they had wonderful covers (I love covers).

My own advice to fellow voracious readers: SAMPLE, SAMPLE, SAMPLE! Amazon makes it so easy. I would have passed on both of these had I taken the time to download a sample or check out the Look Inside feature. Lesson learned.

Now that I've thrown my tantrum, any suggestions on a GREAT book you've read recently? (Not your own, please.) I'm on a Chick-Lit kick, but Romantic Suspense could be fun as well. I'm also trying to keep within a budget, so the latest Janet Evanovich is going to have to wait. I hope the rest of you are reading something fabulous! If you are, I want to know what it is...

~Heidi


No comments:

Post a Comment