About Me

My photo
I am an avid reader, animal lover, devourer of guacamole, storyteller and the author of An Unexpected Obsession, A Dose of Reality, Witch Way, A Coven by Christmas, Love Spells, Summer Solstice (coming soon), Flirting With Death, Flirting With Murder and the rest of the upcoming Assassins Anonymous series. I attended Arizona State University (go Sun Devils!) and make my home in the Valley of the Sun with my husband and three pampered pets. I like to discuss everything funny, sexy, sassy and absurd. But mostly I like to talk about books... and shoes... and outrageously expensive purses... and Chanel sunglasses ...oooh, and anything sparkly... or fluffy! So, come on in and let's chat!

Friday, December 9, 2011

YA Romance, Dolphins & angels-in-training – my interview with fab author Shel Delisle!


Shel Delisle and her fabulous debut novel, Dolphin Girl, are with us today! First, I have to say there is something about the cover of this wonderful YA romance that draws me in and won’t let go. And it’s pretty obvious readers are in love with this book, if the heartfelt reviews are any indication. I’m excited to find out more, aren’t you?

Welcome, Shel!

ME: I can’t wait to poke into your brain… What are you writing now?
SHEL: Oh, no!!!!  I'm drafting a new novel during NaNo, but I tend to keep my lips zipped while I work out all the problems fast drafts create. In addition to that, I hope that very, very soon I'll be polishing a teen novel about a spunky and seriously flawed angel-in-training.  It's the first in a series and I'm really excited to get it out there.

ME: Man, shot down from the beginning – just jokingJ. I love the angel-in-training idea. Make sure you let me know when you’re launching and we’ll do this again. And speaking of great characters, how closely do your characters resemble you? (Any particular quirk?)
SHEL: I resemble all of them!  Or they resemble me.  Even the unlikable ones--Ha! Seriously though, when I was writing Dolphin Girl I became completely unorganized like the main character Jane.  And then, when I was writing the angel story, I was constantly sticking my foot in my mouth like the main character Grace.  For both of them, I made my husband do a "first kiss" experiment because I write for teens and my first kiss was a while ago. :)  Oh, and I am a little obsessed with dolphins, but I haven't decorated the house with them or anything. 

ME: Where to starts with all the info… I love that you method-write! I’d say I’m the opposite in that I project my own innate faults on my characters, but I might start pretending I’m just really into the writing process. Teehee! And – a “first kiss” experiment? I so love this!!! Do you ever wish you lived a character's life (not just in your imagination)?
SHEL: There are definitely days I'd like to be a teen again!  Not in any kind of permanent way, but for just a short time.  Angst and all, I think it would be fun.

ME: Hmm, I suppose I wouldn’t mind having my eighteen year old body back. The real teens can keep the zits though.  How about this… sunglasses (a particular fetish of mine): designer or drugstore cheapies?
SHEL: Neither, really, because mine are prescription, but, come to think of it, the style is kind of a red-framed Jackie-O look, so I'm going to pretend they are designer.
ME: Pretend away! How many pairs are enough?
SHEL: Ha! Is there a good answer to this question?  Anyway...I have two pairs (yeah, the prescription thing again) and that's definitely not enough!

ME: At least you can rotate them out when you get bored. I, on the other hand, need many, many pairs…. Black, white, tortoiseshell, red, bling, extra bling, and holy hell that’s a lot of blingJ. I’m sure everyone gets the picture. Would you ever want to work on a combined project with your favorite author? If so, who?
SHEL: Absolutely! My long-time writing and critique partner Kerry Cerra would be fun.  Because we're such good friends and say everything to each other, I think that chemistry would come through in the manuscript.  

ME: I love that idea! You guys should do it!
I've found that readers really enjoy connecting with authors.  What is one thing you want your fans to know about you that they may not already be aware of?
SHEL: Wow!  All of these other questions were really easy.  That one is a doozy!  Can I answer that I'd like my readers to know I'm the type of person who uses the word "doozy"?  No?  Okay, then.  I guess I'd want them to know they are my reason for writing.  I don't do it for money or awards.  All of my best moments since publication, which, granted has been a really short time, have come from readers who said they enjoyed my book. It's an honor to have them spend their time reading my book, so I'm thrilled when I've entertained them! 

ME: Okay ya big brown-noser! Kidding! Totally kidding! And I know what you mean. Knowing we’ve entertained someone really drives the thirst to write more and more, doesn’t it? Thanks so much for being here today, Shel. I’ve really had fun!

Keep updated about Shel Delisle, her new projects and learn even more about this fabulous YA Romance author by visiting her Amazon Author’s Page. And don’t for get to check out Dolphin Girl, available exclusively on Amazon and available free for Amazon Prime members!!!


TGIF!!!
~Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment